Soup season is quickly approaching and there is no better way to kick it off than with caldo de res- sin res! Caldo de res is a traditional and very popular Mexican soup that is made up of beef and vegetables. I’ve altered this recipe and made it completely vegan because we too deserve to be able to enjoy this amazing soup.
I did not substitute the meat with any tofu because I’m not big on tofu, but it can be added in if you’d like. I’m sure it will taste great with it!
A side of Mexican rice, salsa de molcajete, and lime take this soup to another next level.
Caldo de Res- Sin Res
Prep time 30 minutes | Cook time 1 hour
- 2 Zucchinis , cut into 2-inch chunks
- 3 Carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch rounds
- 3 Small red potatoes, cut in half
- A hand-full of green beans, cut ends off and cut in half
- 2 Chayote squash (Vegetable pear), cut in two inch strips
- 4 Spring Onions, cut in half
- 1/2 Head of cabbage, quartered
- 2 Corn on the cobb, halved
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1/2 Tbs of salt
- 1 Pack of Sazon Goya tomato y cilantro
1. Fill a large lidded pot with about 10 cups of water, or halfway. You don’t want to fill it up all the way or too much because the vegetables in this soup give off their own water. Medium to high heat.
2. Add in the corn, salt, sazon, and garlic cloves. Let it come to a boil, then cover and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
3. Add in the chayotes, cabbage, carrots, green beans, spring onions, and cilantro and cover it using the lid again. Let it come to a boil and simmer.
4. After about 20-25 minutes, add in the potatoes and zucchini. Turn the heat down to low and let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes until tender. Add more salt if needed.
5. Carefully check to see if all vegetables are tender. If they are, turn off the heat and let it sit with the lid on for about 5-10 minutes- ENJOY!
TIPS: The key to this soup is to make sure you add the vegetables in the order that the recipe calls for and to be very careful when serving the soup because the vegetables are so tender that they easily split into bits.