Lentil soup (lentejitas) is my go-to comfort soup, but it’s not only that, it’s actually very good for you. This soup is also super healthy and filled with proteins. I’ve been eating this soup since I was very little and can still eat it for a week straight without getting tired of it. It was definitely one of my grandma’s favorite as well. I actually learned this recipe from my her- with a few adjustments of my own (like the zucchini) of course.
I like to add avocado slices to this soup because it gives it that final magical touch. I also squeeze half of a lime and add in some Salsa de Molcajete as well- delicious!
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Servings: 6
– 1 Roma tomato, diced
– Half of an onion, diced
– 2 Cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 Yellow squash, slice into full rounds
– 1/4 Olive oil
– 1 Cup of lentils (brown)
– 1 Pack of Tomato and Cilantro Sazon Goya (optional)
– 1 Tsp of salt, or to taste
– Handful of baby spinich
– 9 Cups of water
1. Add the water into a large pot along with the lentils. Let them simmer over medium/high heat.
2. Meanwhile, sauté the tomato, onion, and garlic in a small pan. Sauté until they become golden. Then place to the side.
3. Once the lentils come to a boil, add in the sautéd vegetables, the squash, spinach, salt, the pack of Sazon Goya, and cilantro.
4. Let it simmer/boil over the medium/high heat for about 20 to 25 minutes. Add additional water and salt if needed. Once the squash is tender the soup is ready to eat- it’s that easy! Disfruten! (Enjoy!)